Tuesday 8 September 2009

Impromptu Curry Courses

Today, I got home from doing various productive things in the bank and leisure centre and retrieved the coley from the fish with which I wanted to make fish goujons with a side salad. But I discovered that the fish was off. Even my cat, who usually devours all types of food, left it alone, which was a major warning sign, I can tell you. So, I decided on a pasta dish, maybe risotto with gorgonzola and bacon, which didn't work out, because I'd done it a few nights ago. So, on with a curry. The time: 6.50pm. Some onions in a pan, spices (homemade garam masala), ginger and garlic. A whole chilli with a nick cut out of the bottom for the flavour and not the heat. Then I whizzed some leftover tomatoes from the fridge and thew them in, cooking them down a bit. A can of chickpeas with their water in and then I reduced that a bit. Some chicken stock then. Reduce. I then put in some toasted and bashed up pine nuts and cashews and finished off with half a can of coconut milk which I left to simmer. Right, the bhajis. The recipe I was vaguely following said gram flour and greek yoghurt with a bit of water, a chopped chilli and some turmeric and garam masala. But, I completely forgot that I had gram flour, so used chapati instead. Didn't have yoghurt so I had to make do with some soured cream and creme fraiche. Then I used a bit of water and threw the onions in and let them soak while I heated the deep frying oil in my wok. Fried those and had too much batter left so I quickly quartered some chestnut mushrooms and coated them in the batter and fried them. They were good actually. Finally, I made some almond rice and then served. The time: 7.40pm, which, given my reputation of taking ages improvising meals and then leaving a huge mess, was quite good.
At lunch I just had Caerphilly cheese on toast. Caerphilly, I don't like. It was quite bland to be honest. That might just be me. But I think I'll be leaving the rest in the fridge for someone else.
Economy Gastronomy, the programme, I've also noticed is awesome. I already loved Allegra McEvedy and adore the Leon chain, but the show is great. I love the little masterclasses that Allegra and Paul Merrett give about stock cupboard stuff and his gastropub dishes. I really want to cook rabbit soon. And calves' liver with a mustard crust as described in Julie & Julia, which is such a great book, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment